How your pediatricians in Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, and Palm City, FL, can help when your child has a fever
When your child has a fever, don’t ignore it, because it could be a sign of an underlying infection, virus, or medical condition. Your pediatrician can help. The pediatricians at Children’s Physicians provide a wide range of pediatric medical services, including the treatment of fever. They have three convenient office locations in Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, and Palm City, FL, to help your child feel better.
Mild fever can often be treated with some simple home remedies. You can:
- Give your child over-the-counter fever-reducing medication like Children’s Tylenol
- Give your child a sponge bath
- Apply a cold washcloth to your child’s forehead or face
- Have your child suck on popsicles
Continuous moderate to severe fever can be serious. So, when should you have your child see a pediatrician? Schedule a pediatric visit if your child has:
- A temperature of 100.4 degrees or higher and your child is under 4 months old
- A temperature of over 104 degrees and your child is 4 months or older
- A fever that hasn’t resolved after 2 to 3 days
There are some additional signs and symptoms which can accompany a fever. Be sure to contact your physician if your child’s fever is accompanied by:
- Bruising or a rash
- Shortness of breath
- Crying nonstop
- A seizure or a stiff neck
- Pain while urinating
- Decreased urine output
When your child has a fever, it is a sign you shouldn’t ignore. Fever can be a sign of flu, a cold, a bacterial or viral infection, and other more serious medical conditions.
To find out more about the treatment of fever and when your child should see a pediatrician, talk with the experts. Call the pediatricians at Children’s Physicians. You can reach them in Palm Beach Gardens, FL, by calling (561) 626-4000, Jupiter, FL, at (561) 743-9000, or in Palm City, FL, by calling (772) 219-4444, so call now.