How your pediatricians in Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, and Palm City, FL, can help when your child has a fever.
When your child is ill, it’s only natural to be nervous about what to do. One of the most common illnesses in children is having a fever. Will the fever go away, or should you seek help from your child’s pediatrician?
The pediatricians at Children’s Physicians offer a wide range of medical services for children, including treatment for a fever. They have several convenient office locations in Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, and Palm City, FL, to help your child.
In many cases, a fever can be mild, and associated with a virus like a cold or the flu, or a bacterial infection like an ear infection or strep throat.
You can try several easy home remedies to help relieve the fever, so your child feels better. You can try:
- Having your child take infant or children’s Tylenol
- Giving your child a sponge bath
- Applying cold washcloths to your child’s skin
- Having your child suck on popsicles
Fever can also be a sign of something more serious that needs to be treated. You need to look for:
- If your child is under 4 months old, with a temperature of 100.4 degrees or higher
- If your child is over 4 months old and has a temperature of 104 degrees or higher
- If your child still has a fever after 2 to 3 days
You also need to contact your child’s pediatrician if your child’s fever is accompanied by:
- A rash or bruising
- Shortness of breath
- Nonstop crying
- A stiff neck or seizure
- Pain while urinating
- Lower urine output
Your child’s fever may be mild or more severe. Your pediatrician can help your child feel better. To learn more about treatment of a fever call the pediatricians at Children’s Physicians. You can reach them in Palm Beach Gardens, FL by calling (561) 626-4000, or in Jupiter, FL, at (561) 743-9000, or in Palm City, FL, by calling (772) 219-4444, so call today.